Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Six

In which a lover from the previous piece is seen with a new lover.

FADE-IN

A series of shots of college campuses. They are clearly all different college campuses. There is a Floridian campus with inherited Spanish architecture, a Southwestern stucco landscape, a postmodernist steel-and-glass wonderland, a utilitarian brown community college, a Bostonian Ivy League campus, the famous porticos of Jefferson's University of Virginia, a city-bound campus located in downtown skyscrapers.

Follow with shots of multiple dorm rooms. They suggest inhabitants religious, deviant, nerdy, academic, spartan, girlish, macho, foreign, artistic, messy, clean, in surroundings of decaying cinder blocks, expansive carpets and wood paneling, ready-made drywall, with bunk beds, stacked beds, single beds, paired beds.

The various images recycle and speed up until a blur, like on a slot machine, and at a seemingly random moment they stop on a

CLOSE-UP

of Charlotte Perkins, aged nineteen, biting her lip nervously.



POV CHARLOTTE

a busy cafeteria. The tables are lined up in a labyrinthine grid. People eat alone, in large groups of different character, in couples; one couple is arguing, one couple is kissing, one couple sits next to each other while reading books and eating simultaneously.

CLOSE-UP CHARLOTTE

still looking nervous.

      VOICE OFFSCREEN
Do it, Charlotte. Be brave.

      CHARLOTTE
(apparently being kicked or pushed) Ow.

POV CHARLOTTE

as Charlotte enters through the frame and walks into the labyrinth. She appears to be walking towards a shy boy sitting alone. She turns before reaching him to get to a different row. She now appears to be walking toward a relaxed looking sporty guy sitting with a couple other guys. She walks past him and turns to get back to her original row. She turns to face the camera just as she passes behind two students, the pair reading separately together.

      CHARLOTTE
Oh hey Charlene.

      CHARLENE
What? Oh. Wait. Poetry? Third seat. Charlotte?

      CHARLOTTE
Yeah hey.

      CHARLENE
Ha. I'm awesome. What's up?
(indicating what she's reading)
You read?

      CHARLOTTE
Not yet.

      CHARLENE
It's good.

      CHARLOTTE
Good. Hey this must be your famous brother.

      CHARLENE
Oh. Hey. Him? Yes. Logging.

      LOGAN
Logan.

      CHARLENE
Legging. Ignore him.

      CHARLOTTE
You know you're famous. Your sister she's always all talking about you in poetry.

      LOGAN
...What's she say.

      CHARLOTTE
She mostly makes fun of you and your poetry, but I think cause she's in poetry and always talking about it that says to me it kind of means something to her.

      CHARLENE
Damn girl. Where'd that come from. Ha. Man. Yeah it means I get to make fun of his poetry like more specifically.

      LOGAN
Charlene.

      CHARLOTTE
For my part it made you sound really interesting.

      LOGAN
Oh-

      CHARLENE
Ah man I better go throw my tray away for the next five minutes.

Charlene walks off.

      LOGAN
...What's your favorite poem then?

      CHARLOTTE
Hmm. I'd have to think about it. How about I go weigh some poems on the scales and see which one carries the most weight with me and then I'll give you a call and you can

Quick cut to

INTERIOR CHARLOTTE'S DORM

Her room is quietly decorated by her keen eye for graceful comfort - lace and fine art- at least on her side of the room. Her roommate's side is messier and shows an interest in punk and metal music. Logan sits on the bed. Charlotte sits down next to him with a poetry anthology in hand. She points.

      CHARLOTTE
This one.

They kiss. They start making out heavily.

Quick cut to

INTERIOR CHARLOTTE'S DORM, LATER

They lie in bed half-naked.

      CHARLOTTE
Damn that's good poetry.

      LOGAN
I'd be more flatted if it was my poetry.

      CHARLOTTE
You're such an adorable jackass.

      LOGAN
I sometimes pretend to have an ego for others' amusement. I deliberately try and write utter shit.

      CHARLOTTE
Not the way your sister talks. You know we have her to thank for this.

      LOGAN
...I knew this was a set-up.

      CHARLOTTE
Oh no. She had nothing to do with it. Like directly. She ain't a set-up type I don't think. She also barely knows this girl.
(indicating herself)
The way she insulted you made me think this was someone I could get into. Or vice versa I guess. Huh, GET IT? Get it?

      LOGAN
No. Wait yeah.

      CHARLOTTE
I'm an ENTJ.

      LOGAN
What is "this" anyway?

      CHARLOTTE
What? Myers-Briggs? The ceiling? The Whitman?

      LOGAN
The "us." That we have my sister to "thank for."

      CHARLOTTE
Well. Hmm. We just had sex.

      LOGAN
Yeah.

      CHARLOTTE
You told me that you think poetry is ultimate form of human expression and a good poem makes you feel like you know your own heart a little better.

      LOGAN
I say that a lot.

      CHARLOTTE
So there's that and that. And the connection thing. You don't know what to think of me but you were drawn to me all the same.

      LOGAN
Well yes that's pretty well accurate.

      CHARLOTTE
Well there. So you hungry?

      LOGAN
Not for a while.

      CHARLOTTE
Well how about tomorrow breakfast? Or lunch?

      LOGAN
I don't know. Do you want to be my girlfriend?

      CHARLOTTE
Spoil my heart Logan Rutter. Yes I do.

      LOGAN
Oh.

Logan sits up.

      CHARLOTTE
...Logan? ...Crap on a stick, and here I thought I had you right.

      LOGAN
It's just... I

quick cut to

INTERIOR CHARLOTTE'S DORM, LATER STILL

They sit side by side on the bed. Charlotte is teary-eyed, and Logan looks very unhappy.

      CHARLOTTE
I swear it's not something I do all the time. In fact you're only the third guy I've ever had sex with. I just... feel things... and some things feel right and some don't. I ain't always gone with the right thing before. But this is you know a different world out here and I figured-

      LOGAN
No no it's not. Not that. Not you. It's my life. I'm in a place where I have to... stop feeling things like that.

      CHARLOTTE
What, stop feeling. Like be dead.

      LOGAN
Sleeping with you was a feeling thing. But I always get myself in trouble. I know better. I know I have to be a better person. I need to stop. I really need to fucking stop. Fucking.

      CHARLOTTE
Sex?

      LOGAN
No. Sorry I don't curse a lot. I always say it twice because it feels weird. Fucking weird. Fucking.

      CHARLOTTE
So you can't go out with me because of that?

      LOGAN
I need to be alone right now. Like. I wish I could hide in a book. I need to...
(he turns to her)
Take this as my resolution. It wouldn't be fair to you to go out with you right now. And no not any more fair even than sleeping with you and leaving you.

      CHARLOTTE
Used to it. Familiar bathwater.

      LOGAN
Well take this as my promise. I'm sorry I can't... right now, but, Charlotte

quick cut to

INTERIOR, THAT WEEKEND, AT A PARTY

A party in an apartment with a couple dozen people. It is mostly a relaxed party with liquor instead of beer. Charlotte and her roommate Phoebe sit staring agape across the room. There is a bowl of pretzels on the table next to them.

CHARLOTTE'S POV

Logan is making out passionately with some girl. The people around him mostly ignore him as they continue their genteel conversations.

      PHOEBE
Dickbrain.

quick cut to

INTERIOR, CHARLOTTE'S DORM, NIGHT

Charlotte sobs on the bed.

      CHARLOTTE
Pigs are men. Like I think they're the actual barnyard animals. They all learn how to talk and put on t-shirts and hats and hide their piggy tails.

      PHOEBE
(as opposed to "Amen")
Awomen.

      CHARLOTTE
The worst part is I'm the walking cliche. I'm straight out of Central Casting. It don't even matter shit to everyone at that creepy party that I got a history and historical context. I'm the girl who throws the temper tantrum and the pretzels. It feels like prom.

      PHOEBE
My prom sucked too.

      CHARLOTTE
You have twenty prom pictures on your wall Phoeb.

      PHOEBE
A facade.

      CHARLOTTE
You don't gotta play to me. I'd actually feel all kinds a better if you told me I was dumb and made me feel like shit so I never do this again.

      PHOEBE
Uh-uh. Who you talking to. Baby baby baby you need Phoebecare. Let me rub your back.

      CHARLOTTE
No no.

      PHOEBE
Hush I already know you have the little scars. My screen's like a little mirror Miss Secrets. Hey we've all been there. Let me rub.

      CHARLOTTE
I'd rather be massaging him.

      PHOEBE
Now hey don't say-!

      CHARLOTTE
With ACID.

      PHOEBE
Oh good. Now here don't tell me this isn't nice. Nice. Loving human contact is essential, girl. We need it. It pumps out those endorphins and seratonin and all the good druggy stuff. And it's me so you know there's no bullshit. Just relax.

      CHARLOTTE
...Well fine only cuz you say so.

      PHOEBE
There. Now, let me tell you what I heard about this stupid chick who

quick cut to

EXTERIOR, THE PARTY APARTMENT

Logan and the girl, Dulce, sit on a bench in a lovely moonlit arbor; in the background is the window in which the party can still be seen going on unawares. Logan and Dulce hold hands and stare deeply at each other.

      LOGAN
I feel like I found a four-leaf clover. Can that be my pet name for you? Clover?

      DULCE
Only if I can call you Honeybee.

      LOGAN
...I dunno. Kind of sickening.

Pause. They both laugh.

      LOGAN
Of course you can call me honeybee, clover.

      DULCE
Honeybee, it's so nice, you know? So nice so so perfect and happy, to meet someone nowadays when there's so much meanness and sour-y-ness and all those bad things ugh do you know what I mean?

      LOGAN
This cynical world. Money-grubbing. Sex-obsessed.

      DULCE
Yes TOTALLY.

      LOGAN
I would completely love it if we only just shared kisses for, like, the entire first stage of our relationship.

      DULCE
Yes TOTALLY. Oh I've known such bad things and bad people. I used to cry so much. Felt so lonely. My roommate oh my heaven... she... I like blushed, like, just blushed! because she was changing in front of me and she shoved her... self in my face, laughing at me, she said "they're just tits."

      LOGAN
God.

      DULCE
I know what they are. I've seen plenty. I've been all through there and like I have the you know. The.

      LOGAN
You want better.

      DULCE
I want... someone like...

      LOGAN
Like... hmmm...

      DULCE
Oh I don't know... let me think hmmm...

      LOGAN
Uh I've got no ideas for you...

      DULCE
Um well... maybe someone like... you?

Pause. They both laugh. Then they both suddenly jump on each other and kiss passionately.

Quick cut to

EXTERIOR, MOVIE THEATER, DAY

Charlotte walks out of a movie holding the hand of a guy, Aidan.

      AIDAN
-If I were a vampire I would be so badass. Forget those guys. No like seriously.

He pretends to bite Charlotte's arm. Charlotte feigns humor.

      AIDAN
I'd suck the shit out of people. I mean whoa oh god. The blood. You know I meant the blood. Shit is just for Friday nights.
...You know I'm kidding I'm not actually you know a shit-eater.

      CHARLOTTE
I dunno, with that grin.

      AIDAN
Stop mumbling, try it with me, open mouth wiiide-

He takes her mouth in his hands to play at having her speak. She pulls away.

      CHARLOTTE
I said I said yes you wouldn't have made it to a date with me if I thought you were.

      AIDAN
Oh ah phew. Phew that was a close one. We almost add some misperceptions there.

      CHARLOTTE
Yep.

      AIDAN
Cupcakes! Holy shit cupcakes. I've always wanted to go into this cupcake dealie. I mean it's like five bucks a cupcake but Five Bucks is NOTHING to The Aidan. Beware my wallet-opening prowess mwa ha.

      CHARLOTTE
This is serious.

      AIDAN
What huh? Do you want red velvet or oo ha I know you want what is this? Pumpkin? It's pumpkin. You want pumpkin?

      CHARLOTTE
I want I think to go home.

      AIDAN
What? Home? Oh home. Ooo yea. Yes.

      CHARLOTTE
No not to sleep with you d- dickbrain. Sorry. The confusion's totally understandable. You really haven't gotten that I'm not having a good time.

      AIDAN
You're a shy one.

      CHARLOTTE
Uh not really. Kinda not really. Shit, Aidan. You were alright-looking and you said "you should just declare Lit" and I had been thinking about declaring Lit so it was like all a woah you're a psychic thing. He must understand is what I thought. He's a fella that I should ask on a date. That's logic. Good wholesome reason. But really I didn't really feel it feel it from the start.

      AIDAN
Then why-

      CHARLOTTE
Well the movie. Kinda rude to walk on out.

      AIDAN
...Shit, Charlotte.

      CHARLOTTE
I'll buy you a cupcake. Then take me

Quick cut to

EXTERIOR, CUPCAKE SHOP, THE NEXT WEEKEND

Phoebe and Aidan.

      PHOEBE
Hey NO WAY pumpkin cupcakes. That's a smart person there who decided to put them together.

      AIDAN
Uh yeah. Behold my discovery. Behold it.

      PHOEBE
Hee-hee. I'm going to fucking eat it is what I'm going to do. How about that Columbus.

      AIDAN
Uh. I never saw it coming. Yikes.

      PHOEBE
Oh my. This is delicious. I am going to work for these people just so I can put awesome new combinations together. Cupcakes and fucking raspberries. Cupcakes and marzipan. Those giant cookies and Red Hots.

      AIDAN
Nom nom nom. I guess.

      PHOEBE
"Nom nom nom I guess," you're so funny Aidan. You're like a funny panda bear. Charlotte's way too serious, I mean I love her you don't even exactly know, but hey. You have to put the right people together. Hmm? Phoebe, over.

      AIDAN
Huh?

      PHOEBE
Aidan, do you copy?

      AIDAN
What?

      PHOEBE
Wake up! Put down the cupcake, luv.

      AIDAN
I don't get half what you're saying. I liked Charlotte.

      PHOEBE
Well look no one's saying you didn't. I said I-

      AIDAN
I don't think this is working.

      PHOEBE
...But Aidan, we haven't even gotten to know

Quick cut to

CLOSE-UP

A random patron at another table looks up-close at a giant cupcake. We follow the cupcake as it goes into the patron's mouth.

RANDOM PATRON
(With mouth full.)
OH. MY. GOD.

Quick cut to

INTERIOR, DULCE'S DORM

Dulce and Logan, sitting next to each other, both tearful and upset.

      DULCE
Honeybee, can you ever really forgive me?

      LOGAN
I have to. I have to.

      DULCE
I've never loved someone so much. And now I know, I just know, I know deep inside, it'll always be poisoned and black and icky, the way you think of me-

      LOGAN
No. Never. NEVER, you hear me, clover?

      DULCE
No I can't bear to hear you call me that. God I didn't even like-. It was just. I was so happy. Cause of you! And what did I do? Got drunk and-. Oh my god I hate myself. I have to leave.

      LOGAN
Dulce! You have to sit. You have to listen. This will change it. Make it - not better, but okay.

      DULCE
What can change things? What can undo the evil thing I've done? I cheated on the only human person I ever really-

      LOGAN
I cheated too. Goddammit, Dulce! Goddammit. I cheated too! I did the same thing. You know that party where we finally kissed for real?

      DULCE
You mean the one on our two-week anniversary?

      LOGAN
Yes. Yes! Two wonderful weeks of pureness and beauty and poetry together, taking it easy, and... fuck, I don't know why... fuck... I just fell into this terrible pattern, and I...

      DULCE
...That girl.

      LOGAN
Yes.

      DULCE
That pretzel girl.

      LOGAN
Yes... I'm a shame.

      DULCE
When?

      LOGAN
That day. She... No. I won't blame her. Only my coldhearted self. And it was her... because of her I said, "No more waiting. Express yourself to Dulce. Let her know how much she..." How much she...

      DULCE
Oh honeybee...

      LOGAN
Oh clover...

      DULCE
I forgive you.

      LOGAN
Can you?

      DULCE
Can you?

      LOGAN
I forgive you.

      DULCE
Of course I forgive you.

      LOGAN
I love you so much OH so much!

      DULCE
I love you so much OH so much!

      LOGAN
Of course I forg

Quick cut to

INTERIOR, CHARLOTTE'S DORM, EVENING

Charlotte and Phoebe look at their open doorway. Sounds of giggling from the hallway outside. They wait and watch.

      GIRLISH VOICE
Oh no watch out! Ow ow! Hee hee hee oh hi. Oops!

      MANLY VOICE
Heh heh oh shit crap you alright? Dang. Watch it girl! heh heh woah.

A frat boy carrying a sorority girl in his arms parades across their doorframe, smooching and stumbling drunkenly. Then they continue out of view. Phoebe gets up and crosses to the door. Just as she is about to close it someone walks by in a full-blown Revolutionary Soldier costume, complete with tri-corner hat and musket. The door closes.

      CHARLOTTE
I'm sorry Phoebs. Though I don't know what I could've done. Maybe not bought him a cupcake.

      PHOEBE
Eh whatever. Shit happens. That's why I take things slow. I like to. Know people.

      CHARLOTTE
Yeah but not be what do you call it blunt? You haven't once had a guy here since we moved in. And for all this horny talk I always keep getting from you I know you're wanting.

      PHOEBE
I won't lie he was. I liked him. Funny and cute. And he didn't once stare at my boobs. I even wore a boob shirt, like to test him. If he glanced he was way smoother than I could've predicted.

      CHARLOTTE
Me either. ...You think he was gay? ...No no way. He's just too in love with his own quirks and shit. He acted jealous when this other guy was trying to hit on me.

      PHOEBE
Nah he was a little bit on the gaydar. Kind of an out-of-the-way blip.

      CHARLOTTE
This gaydar thing's still way out of my concepts.

      PHOEBE
You learn. He was my type. Oh, sighing and moaning boo hoo hoo.

Phoebe buries her head in Charlotte's lap.

      CHARLOTTE
Uh. Massage? Right? Etiquette, I'm learning.

      PHOEBE
Won't refuse...

Charlotte dutifully rubs Phoebe's shoulders while Phoebe's head is still in her lap.

      PHOEBE
You declared though. That's one of the good things.

      CHARLOTTE
I always felt homelike in books. But remember I'm not settled.

      PHOEBE
You don't need anything else, luv. Just follow what you believe. Be free. Screw the system.

      CHARLOTTE
Right but I don't got no fallback. It was my plan to figure out which, you know, major that makes money which you know doesn't typically include the English-based ones would be the major I could do with, in other words, a whole lotta not-math. Maybe business maybe psych, they say it's good prep for a law degree.

      PHOEBE
You'd be a bitchin lawyer.

      CHARLOTTE
Well. Yeah. ...What would be awesome if I had the head and stuff for it would be bio. Then pre-med. Maybe... vet.

      PHOEBE
Whatever. Long as you follow your heart, your head will follow. Look where my head followed mine!

      CHARLOTTE
What my lap? Or cupcakes?

      PHOEBE
Oh um.

Phoebe sits up. She looks at Charlotte and laughs.

      PHOEBE
Cupcakes in your lap?

Quick cut to

INTERIOR, A DIFFERENT PARTY, A YEAR EARLIER

Sepia toned. A more feminine-ly dressed Phoebe watches two half-dressed girls make out on a keg while offscreen meet hoot at them. A tiny girl wearing a bowler hat sits next to Phoebe.

      BOWLER HAT GIRL
...Fakes.

Phoebe looks at Bowler Hat Girl.

Quick cut to

INTERIOR, CHARLOTTE'S DORM, SLIGHTLY LATER THAN THE PREVIOUS SCENE THERE

Charlotte looks out the window.

      CHARLOTTE
I got no idea what's going on out in the quad. Looks like smores. Shit if it ain't like home.

      PHOEBE
Sit.

Charlotte joins Phoebe back on the bed.

      CHARLOTTE
This is what we're gonna do, Phoeb. Go to bed; wake up; pancakes. And then-

Phoebe kisses Charlotte. Charlotte instinctively slaps Phoebe. They stare blankly at each other for a moment.

Quick cut to

LATER, THE SAME

They are both upset.

      CHARLOTTE
I'm just not a lesbian.

      PHOEBE
Neither am I.

      CHARLOTTE
Not bi either.

      PHOEBE
Neither am I.

      CHARLOTTE
...Desperate?

      PHOEBE
Huh?

      CHARLOTTE
I'm short on terms.

      PHOEBE
Look the term doesn't matter. We both believe in going after what we want. In not holding back.

      CHARLOTTE
I'm not holding back. I'm just partial to penises, help me I don't know why.

      PHOEBE
You ever close your eyes during sex? Or being eaten out?

      CHARLOTTE
Yes and no it's not the same Phoeb.

      PHOEBE
How do you-

      CHARLOTTE
I just do.

      PHOEBE
I think you're being really-

      CHARLOTTE
No I'm not.

      PHOEBE
I-

      CHARLOTTE
What would happen is I would just be kowtowing to you cause you made me do it, but it wouldn't turn out well. I would rather you not get reflex-slapped again. I can't kiss someone I don't want. Girl or otherwise. And it's never been a girl.

      PHOEBE
You're just saying that because-

      CHARLOTTE
There were plenty of lesbians in my hometown. Regular queer fest, in some parts.

      PHOEBE
Stop reading my mind.

      CHARLOTTE
Start reading mine. Or else read my lips, Phoeb. No not like that. Like this: "I'm not interested in girls."

Pause. Phoebe runs from the room before she breaks apart.

      CHARLOTTE
Phoebe!

      PHOEBE
I just need to not be here tonight. Okay? Don't- Don't chase me. And don't worry yourself. I'll be back tomorroow. It's just... just tonight.

      CHARLOTTE
-Wait. You know I love you. Can't help anatomy and hearts and things, you know.

      PHOEBE
...Love you too.

Phoebe runs off.

      CHARLOTTE
Well Jesus Chr-

Quick cut to

INTERIOR, DORM BATHROOM, MORNING

A communal bathroom. Charlotte is slumped under a sink. She startles awake.

      CHARLOTTE
-ist. Ow what is this a sink. Hell it is a sink. Fuck the sink.

She stands up. She winces.

      CHARLOTTE
Water water. Water.

She drinks some water from the sink.

      CHARLOTTE
Never gone this bad. Thanks Phoebe. Sorry Phoebe. Dammit Phoebe!

TRACKING SHOT

following Charlotte out the bathroom towards her dorm.

      CHARLOTTE
What did I do last night?

She passes by six dorm rooms. The first is closed. The second has a whiteboard on it that says "FUCK YOU JAMIE!!!" The third has a sock on the door handle. The fourth is open and a guy is inside singing to himself. The fifth is closed. The sixth has someone knocking outside it holding a plate of pizza slices.

We follow to the seventh, which is Charlotte's. She turns the knob and it is open. She hobbles inside.

A half-naked pretty girl sits up in Charlotte's bed.

      SULTRY GIRL
Hey baby. You left two hours ago. But don't worry I've kept it warm.

CLOSE-UP

Charlotte's face. A mixed reaction.

Quick cut to

TRACKING SHOT

following Charlotte out the bathroom towards her dorm.

      CHARLOTTE
What did I do last night?

She passes by six dorm rooms. The first is closed with silly string all over it. The second has a whiteboard on it that says "Where is JAMIE? Come back JAMIE!!!" The third is almost all the way closed; from inside a guy can be heard crying. The fourth is closed. The fifth is open and there are nine people sleeping on the floor and beds inside. The sixth has a maintenance person fixing the doorknob with a sleepy resident and an RA watching.

We follow to the seventh, which is Charlotte's. She turns the knob and it is open. She hobbles inside.

Phoebe, Dulce and Sultry Girl are in Phoebe's bed.

      PHOEBE, BOWLER HAT GIRL, SULTRY GIRL
Excuse us!

CLOSE-UP

Charlotte's face. A mixed reaction.

Quick cut to

TRACKING SHOT

following Charlotte out the bathroom towards her dorm.

      CHARLOTTE
What did I do last night?

She passes by six dorm rooms. The first is closed, a Notice of Violation taped to it. The second has a whiteboard on it that says "12 94 88888 T @@@ FIFTY" and a picture of a bear on it. The third is open and there are two guys playing video games inside in their underwear blindfolded. The fourth is open and there is a guy inside staring across the hall at room five, from which three women peek out suspiciously at number-four-guy. The sixth has a child with a balloon in front of it waiting patiently.

We follow to the seventh, which is Charlotte's. She turns the knob and it is open. She hobbles inside.

Outside the window a young man is hanging upside down from a knotted bedsheet.

CLOSE-UP

Charlotte's face.

      CHARLOTTE
Holy shit!

PREVIOUS SHOT

Charlotte rushes to the window and opens it, and pulls the guy inside.

      CHARLOTTE
Are you okay?

      MR. BEDSHEETS
The blood's all in my head.

Charlotte knocks on top of his head.

      MR. BEDSHEETS
Better, thanks.

      CHARLOTTE
What were you doing?

      MR. BEDSHEETS
Attempting suicide.

      CHARLOTTE
By dangling from your foot?

      MR. BEDSHEETS
Long story.

      CHARLOTTE
Why?

      MR. BEDSHEETS
You see, I am gay.

      CHARLOTTE
And?

      MR. BEDSHEETS
Complications.

      CHARLOTTE
...I can believe that.

      MR. BEDSHEETS
Yes. Well I have intruded most impolitely long enough. Excuse me.

      CHARLOTTE
No wait! Wait. ...Sit. Sit. Tell me of your problems.

      MR. BEDSHEETS
I feel rather done with them.

      CHARLOTTE
...Are they done with you?

      MR. BEDSHEETS
For now.

      CHARLOTTE
But who knows how you'll feel in the morning?

      MR. BEDSHEETS
Sure.

      CHARLOTTE
Talk to me. Something about me likes you. I think you and I, we are going to be the new best friends around here.

      MR. BEDSHEETS
...You think so?

      CHARLOTTE
Why the fuck not?

Pause.

Mr. Bedsheets starts laughing hysterically.

      MR. BEDSHEETS
Why the fuck not! Yes why the fuck not! Why the fuckitty not! Why why ha ha ha!

They laugh together hysterically.

Slow fade to

EXTERIOR, ON CAMPUS, DAY

Charlotte is walking. She walks past lots of people on their way to class.

      CHARLOTTE
This is not the life I imagined for myself.

INTERIOR, CHARLOTTE'S DORM, MORNING

      CHARLOTTE
I thought I was doomed and trapped.

      MR. BEDSHEETS
But you got out. You made it to a bigger world.

EXTERIOR, ON CAMPUS, DAY

      CHARLOTTE
It's a scary place. I don't know, every day, whether to laugh or cry. Or to stiffen my upper lip or get pissed or hole up all day with my vibrator.

Charlotte looks up from her walk. Logan enters.

      CHARLOTTE
Oh well heyyyyy.

      LOGAN
Charlotte.

      CHARLOTTE
Was that your girlfriend?

      LOGAN
Yes. I want to apologize. But first listen. I love her.

      CHARLOTTE
Do you contradict yourself?
Very well then you contradict yourself.
(You are large, you contain multitudes.)

      LOGAN
Charlotte don't Whitman me! Look I think I'm a pretty simple person. I don't lie.

      CHARLOTTE
Ah! I think you'd like to think that. But. In multitudes lie the truth.

Quick cut to

INTERIOR, CHARLOTTE'S DORM, MORNING

Close in on Charlotte and Mr. Bedsheets sitting on the bed.

      CHARLOTTE
Truth is underneath it all I just want to run away. I thought the more I saw, the more I opened myself up, the better... the clearer... the freer I'd get. But it’s been the opposite. And I've seen so little. I think at this rate, I'm going to disintegrate before I'm even old enough to drink.

Mr. Bedsheets holds Charlotte. They are quiet.

The camera pulls back and changes angle. We see Sultry Girl lying in the bed behind Mr. Bedsheets. The camera pulls back more. We see another Charlotte staring at Sultry Girl. We pull back more and see Sultry Girl, Bowler Hat Girl, and Phoebe in Phoebe's bed. We pull back to a third Charlotte. Then we see a fourth Charlotte lying on the floor, trying to pierce her nose with a sewing needle. Then we pull out of the dorm room, and see Logan crying against the doorframe. We keep pulling back down the hall. We see Aidan standing on his head. We see another Bowler Hat Girl, this one smashing a terra cotta pot with a sledgehammer anarchically. We see another Aidan, wearing glasses and juggling two microscopes excitedly. We see a Sultry Girl ruefully signing check after check on another Mr. Bedsheets' back. We see the kid with the balloon, and most of the other dorm room extras. We see Dulce, who sees the camera and follows it for a moment, then runs into another Charlotte, who throws pretzels at her to make her run away. We see a snake charmer and a gray haired person at a computer from behind. We see more of everybody, passing by the camera in larger and larger numbers. The people go out of focus, and blur together. The blur fills the screen.

Quick cut to

EXTERIOR, MIDDLE OF CAMPUS, EARLY EVENING

A wide angle shot of Charlotte sitting silently and still on a bench. No one is visible in the background. She says and does nothing as an unidentifiable person hidden in a hoodie walks past. They look at each other as they pass. Then the hoodie person walks away. Charlotte sits a while.

Quick cut to credits.

No comments:

Post a Comment